Monday, October 24, 2011

Base Borden Army Run - Half marathon

A year ago I started road racing and ran my first 5K. It was the same year that Base Borden started doing a charity run to support Operation Hero which is a scholarship program for Canadian’s military youth. This is a fun small run with about 600 people. This year I decided to come back and run the half marathon instead of the 5K! I am not sure what I was thinking, but after a year of gaining some running experience I thought I might be ready to run a half marathon. Several years back when I took up running I tried to train for a half marathon, unsuccessfully. I wound up injured and was not able to complete the training. So to come back after a year of running, this was a major milestone for me.
I positioned myself at the back of the pack which probably wasn’t a great idea because the race was timed according to gun time, which adds extra time to your race. I also started out slow, concerned that I wouldn’t have enough energy at the end of the race. I later realised that this was not a good idea, because not only was I dropped from the pack of faster racers and unable to draft off the faster pack, but also because I ran with people who were slower runners, and I ended up running completely alone for most of the race. This is poor race strategy and a beginner’s mistake. The first part of the race was on pavement and had some difficult hills. For me the hills just slowed me down, as opposed to wear me out. At about 8K, the race went off road. At first it was ok, but after a few K on the gravel path my feet started to hurt. The stones were really sharp and the footing was loose. The scenery was really pretty but the terrain was difficult. I have experience running on trails but they always slow you down. In fact, it is more difficult to propel yourself forward when the footing is loose. I kept hoping the trail running would end but after 6K of running on gravel, the trail turned to sand! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Finally at around 16K the race went back on the road. This was fine although we were introduced to some more steep hills. I took in two gels, one at about 8K and one at 16K. I didn't slow down to eat them, because I couldn't afford the time. I had lost so much time on the hills and loose footing, I knew I was going to have trouble finishing the race with a decent time.


This half marathon was the most difficult race I had ever run, and it wasn't because of the distance. I think if I were to do this race again I would have to train specifically for the conditions of this race. Ie. Hills, sprinting the first and last 5K, as well as resistance training. I also think I would need the mileage required for a full marathon and not just a half marathon. All in all though, the day was great. The weather was beautiful and I am so glad I had the experience. The results haven't been posted yet, but my watch said that I completed the half marathon in 2:05:21 with an average pace time of 5:55. I am not sure where I placed in my AG, but probably above average. Thanks Base Borden for a great run, hopefully I will be back next year, but it definitely won't be for the half marathon (I don't think)

No comments:

Post a Comment