Friday, August 12, 2011

Training summer 2011

For the last two weeks of my training period for this season, I have been enjoying the terrain of the Haliburton Highlands. This terrain is definately not for the weak-hearted. Even though the air is clean and the country side is breathtaking, the terrain is relentlessly hilly. This is great for me because my spring training routes contain no hills. I have been on vacation in Haliburton and my legs are screaming obsenities at me as I try to put in my regular mileage.

The swim route is fairly benign, as it is all open water swimming in a small lake, however the bike route feels like one is biking on roller coaster, you are either climbing up a steep hill, or coasting down at speeds of over 50 km/hr. It can be quite the challenge especially if you have run earlier on the same route. I will admit some of the hills have got me into walking which is not something I am used to on my flat spring training routes. It is humbling and makes me aware of just how much more base building I need to do before my big race. As all Ontarians know Haliburton is considered cottage country and most visit to relax and rest. And sometimes partake in a little recreational activity. My friend Nat is one of those people.

She will often go out biking with me, and in the past we have been caught out biking in some interesting situations, like large thunderstorms. We even once had to be rescued. This year we have been lucky though and we got in two good cycling days. Although I think she is ready for physio now because the cycling routes have put her in the pavement. Other than that though it has been a great two weeks. Normally I spend more time in Haliburton, but this year it is only for a short period and then I am back to my normal training grounds. One last swim and then I return. See you next year Haliburton county, thanks for some great weather this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment